Here Again

20170201newt
I don’t know exactly how this is going to go but I’m ready to give it a whirl.  One thing I do know: while the main focus of the blog will remain, there will be a lot more politics.  That’s just part of life now, whether you were apolitical, a newshound, an activist, or anything else on the spectrum – you are in it now.  We are all in it, together.  Politics affects all our families.  Pets are family.  Shelter pets, the most vulnerable of all, will suffer even more now than in past.  I will resist this whole stinking thing.

I won’t be offended if you choose not to read.  I’ll miss you, but I respect your choice.  All I ask is that you do the same.

If you choose to stick around, yay.  And thank you.  Thank you for reading all these years, for waiting while I wasn’t up to posting and for your kind words of support.  I have missed all of you and look forward to delivering sentences to your inbox and hearing from you again.

1. Jay Booth

GOOD! Welcome back!

2. GWEN SMITH

Love you Shirley!

Sent from my iPhone

3. Shane and Sia Barbi

/  March 18, 2017

no thanks. Animals are bipartisan issues. TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST as you do offend me and not that smart with politics.

________________________________

• For the last time, fuck off. Learn to internet. And while you are at it, look up “blacklisted” as that is your new status.

4. Ona

Happy you are back!

5. Vicki Wright

Glad to have you back.

6. Tacia

/  March 18, 2017

Very understandable. Welcome back at whatever pace you choose. Much of the world has gone mad! #Resist

7. Susan Shaddock

/  March 18, 2017

Good to see you again,Shirley. I’ve enjoyed following you on Twitter too.

8. Adrianne Mock

/  March 18, 2017

So happy to see you back!! Missed ya!

9. Welcome back! I’m in!

10. So very glad to see you!

11. Lr

/  March 18, 2017

Welcome back it’s great to see you again. I’m not sure where this is going but it seems to me that these poor animals have always been a victim of politics.

12. Pai

Welcome back. :3

13. Jane

Glad you’re back!!

14. Tip Burrows

/  March 18, 2017

Have never commented much but have always appreciated your insightful perspectives and shared many of them. Glad you’re back and looking forward to what you have to say.

15. anne davis

/  March 18, 2017

Timing! I was just thinking about you and the blog this morning and was going to get in touch with you again this weekend. And here you are. I think I should think about winning the lottery next :)

16. ares1942

/  March 18, 2017

Welcome back! I have missed your intelligent, insightful and no nonsense blogs. I look forward to seeing them again. I hope you got at least some rest out of your hiatus.

17. Ljbeane1@aol.com

/  March 18, 2017

welcome back..I have always enjoyed your posts..glad to see you are doing well and look forward to your next article, Linda Beane

18. Lazaro Marino

Welcome back Shirley!
    Glad to have you back!
    Can’t wait to get started!

19. Welcome back and hooray!

20. Karen F

/  March 18, 2017

So glad to see this! And will be glad too for the more-politics part. #Resist

21. Alice Hagan

Happy you’re back!

22. Rita Grijalva

/  March 19, 2017

So happy you are back!!!

23. I started following your blog because of your great investigative post on shelters and animal welfare. But you got me following your more political twitter just as much. I ain’t going anywhere…..

24. Geraldine Clarke

/  March 19, 2017

Good to hear you again! And, yes, we cannot escape politics these days. I feel like the whole country has fallen down the rabbit hole and we are in this perverse Wonderland where truth and facts have no meaning anymore so your intelligent comments will be most welcome.

25. Lou Ann

/  March 19, 2017

Yipeeee!!

26. Well said, Shirley.

27. nancy in DE

/  March 19, 2017

Bring it! Love your blog and look forward to reading more, friend. #Resist

28. I LOVE you Shirley! You’re never afraid to say what you want to say! Hope you’re feeling better :)

29. Judy A

/  March 19, 2017

Welcome back. You have been missed. :-)

30. KateH

/  March 19, 2017

Yay! I am glad you’re back – say whatever you want – it’s YOUR sandbox!!!

31. JERRY EDELMAN

/  March 19, 2017

Politics has ALWAYS been a part of the animal rights issue, whether you chose to admit it or recognize. It has NOTHING to do with what political ideology you define yourself from. It is no different now than in the past. Animals have suffered under EVERY POLITICAL THEOLOGY. One only has to look at the state of animal rights with regards to MOST legal precedent to understand that. This past election cycle is no different for animal rights than any other. And I have over 50 years of personal political activism as some level of proof. It just seems worse because now we have much easier access to EVERY bit of political grandstanding, whether based in truth or fact or NOT. there is an audience out there that will believe what they want and then search the internet to back up their beliefs. We have lost a certain desire for truth, to those who simply want to prove their point, right or wrong. We have become victims of the “instant gratification” of our OWN beliefs and REFUSE to acknowledge that others with opposing views could possibly be right, and therefore they must be destroyed or silenced. SAD for the animals as well. They are victims in all this as well.

32. Great to hear from you again, Shirley. Welcome back!

33. Chris

/  March 20, 2017

I welcome any posts and the opportunity you help provide to educate and demonstrate the alternatives to arbitrary killing, and about the neglect and abuse by organizations who should be protecting animals and putting the No Kill Equation in place.

Far too many still hold onto the outated idea that killing is necessary and choose to ignore the evidence for the alternatives. They call it “a necessary evil”.

“Once we assuage our conscience by calling something a necessary evil, it begins to look more and more necessary and less and less evil.”
    Sydney J. Harris

Killing apologists are like any other group trying to erroneously shift blame for a situation.
    “Intolerance is the most socially acceptable form of egotism, for it permits us to assume superiority without personal boasting.”
    SJH

An age old tactic.
    “In various countries and times, leaders of groups that lagged behind, economically and educationally, have taught their followers to blame all their problems on other people – and to hate those other people.” – Plato

No Kill is the right thing. It’s worth the time and effort.
    “Anything worth having is worth fighting for.”
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips

“Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.”
    Robert Kennedy

“A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.”
    Sydney J. Harris

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato

We need more windows…

“Most people are mirrors, reflecting the moods and emotions of the times. Some people are windows, bringing light to bear on the dark corners where troubles fester. The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.”
    Sydney J. Harris

The opposition says thing can’t change until others change. Real leaders become the example, the change they want to see – https://youtu.be/3ov8LxC1raI

“Why You Can Change the World” – https://youtu.be/jxiYsgyn1yU

“The most important thing in an argument, next to being right, is to leave an escape hatch for your opponent, so that he can gracefully swing over to your side without too much apparent loss of face.”
    Sydney J. Harris

Lessons from Bernie?
    Winning over Trump supporters, face to face, town hall style – https://youtu.be/FXDDjBkLRyY

I’m going to try asking myself ‘What would Bernie do?”

34. Lorre Jordan

/  March 20, 2017

Yay! I’ve missed you so. You are the most articulate writer I follow. I have been adrift in a sea of nonsense since you took a hiatus. Glad you are back!

35. db

/  March 20, 2017

I am so happy to see you return. Missed you a whole lot. I’m in, too! Not possible to compartmentalize life anymore. And thanks for not backing off in these times of corruption and insanity. WELCOME BACK!

36. I choose to “stick around” and I am happy you are back. 👌 Your blog is absolutely THE BEST, even if the stories are sometimes sad, but they are well researched, frank and truthful. Thank you.

37. Tina Clark

/  March 21, 2017

I’m so happy to see you are back. I hope you are feeling better. As far as politics, I have to say that even though I guess we have to call it politics, these days it is so much bigger. It touches on common decency and compassion, and that transcends politics. I don’t see how decent people can defend what is going on now. I’m looking forward to more from you. Thank you, thank you.

38. mary frances

/  March 22, 2017

You make me happy, grateful and you give me hope.

39. Welcome back!! I look forward to reading whatever you have to say. I’m appalled at the removal of the protective clause for denned bears, wolves, and their cubs/pups. Hunting by plane? Cyanide M-44 canisters?
    On the upside, I brought a former puppy mill momma into my pack of 5: a very smart, curious, American English type Coonhound. The ACO and group who helps that city pound (Horseshoe Bend, AK) had her since July. That particular ACO knows the volunteers work overtime to get pets homes: only put one dog down in 3 years for behavior. National Puppy Day was Bobby Jo’s Gotcha Day.