Personal News

Nothing animal shelter related here.

Just a note to touch base with everyone and to say I’m still here.  I’m not ready to return to blogging and honestly don’t know when or if I might be ready.  I’ve been struggling over the past year personally, professionally – basically all the –llys.  I was laid off from my job last month and so far, no prospects.  My Dad, whom I love dearly, died last week.  I would like to share the obituary I wrote for him because if you like me, you can thank my parents.  And you guys are my friends.

Milton Robert Thistlethwaite, 72, of Bristol, went 25 rounds with cancer, a top ranked opponent, finally landing a knock out punch on February 10, 2018. In attendance was an adoring crowd along with Marilyn Thistlethwaite, his beloved wife of 50 years and always present corner man. The crowd went wild as The Toughest Fighter in the Universe spectacularly achieved his long sought victory.

Anyone wishing to make a donation in memoriam might consider St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT. Oncology is on the 8th floor where they both treat patients in preparation for their return home as well as care for hospice patients and their families. They provided us a suite down the hall from my Dad’s room so that we could take turns sleeping in an actual bed, getting a shower, etc. I can’t say enough good things about the caring staff. And there was one volunteer team that brought us a few minutes of comfort during my Dad’s final days – a Golden Retriever named Rosie and her owner. I wish I had thought to snap a photo of her but I was busy kissing her face and getting kisses back from her.

I also would like to share a link to a GoFundMe I set up in hopes of being able to visit my Mom as often as possible now that she lives alone. If you are not in a position to donate financially, that is all right. I have relied upon the warmth and support of our YesBiscuit community many times over the years and it continues to help me now. So thank you for that.

in honor of rosie

An image I came across on Pinterest, in honor of Rosie and all the dogs who bring comfort to those in need.

Next Post

1. Billy Marsh

/  February 14, 2018

👍

2. GWEN SMITH

/  February 14, 2018

Oh girl I’m so sorry to read all of this that you’re going through. I hope you find another job soon. I’m sad to hear you lost your dear father also. What a beautiful tribute you write for him. You and your mother are in my prayers. I wish I could do more.
    Gwen
    😔🙏♥️

Sent from my iPhone

3. Anne Thomas

/  February 14, 2018

I’m so sorry for your lost, Shirley.

4. Anne Thomas

/  February 14, 2018

“loss,” not “lost”

5. Ona

/  February 14, 2018

I hope you get to visit your Mom 10 times this year. You have helped so many animals, especially in Memphis. I am happy to help you.

6. dck133

/  February 14, 2018

I am so sorry for your losses.

7. I’m just sobbing for your loss right now.

8. Kathryn Hargreaves

/  February 14, 2018

Loving, healing thoughts to you. Hug your animals for me and yourself.

9. Hi I had been wondering how you are and concerned about you because of your blogging absence. Yesterday I was thinking intensively of you! Sending love and positive vibrations for healing. Deepest Condolences on loss of your father. Susi

Sent from my iPhone

10. Lorre Jordan

/  February 14, 2018

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you find your voice again as it is the most powerful and articulate one I have come across in many years. If it’s Bradley you fly into, I live in Enfield, CT, the next town over and would like to offer shuttle service when you come here, as long as you don’t mind brushing off a little fur.

• Thank you Lorre. I do fly into Bradley and would love to accept your offer sometime. Fur=acceptable.

• Lorre Jordan

/  February 15, 2018

Any time you need help, Shirley. I’m always around. If you’d like, PM me and I’ll give you my cell #.

11. I’m so sorry for you loss.

12. Janet Gill

/  February 15, 2018

The animals have lost a staunch, take no prisoners, shine a light and watch ‘em scatter, tell it like it is animal advocate in your well-written blog, YesBiscuit! I have missed it. It’s a shame there is no financial support/incentive to certain of those in the rescue world who help to shine a light on animal abuses; if you didn’t you should have received financial support from different animal rights groups. Please let us know if you ever blog on Facebook since I shared many of your blogs on my Facebook page.

13. ares1942

/  February 15, 2018

With sympathy on the loss of your father. Looks like you have a wonderful family. I could not contribute to your visit-Mom fund as I don’t have a credit card. I understand how you feel, because I don’t see my mother for months, and she is 95 years. Good luck on your job hunt. I have missed your powerful blogs, and hope that you will be able to get back to doing them. A voice like yours needs to be heard.

14. Lou Ann

/  February 15, 2018

Oh Shirley — I am so very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. I, like many others, have missed your powerful blogs. I know you’ve made such a difference in Memphis.

15. Tina Clark

/  February 15, 2018

Shirley, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. I put in a small amount toward your visits to your mom. I hope things get better this year.

16. Karen F

/  February 15, 2018

Donated and wish it could be more. It was wonderful to see the photo of your beautiful family at the page. I’m so sorry for your losses.

I hope a really fantastic job finds you. You would be a prize for any employer.

17. I booked a trip to see my mom today! And I changed the goal to cover 10 trips (hat tip, Ona) although one trip is one more than I thought I’d be making and very much appreciated. Thank you.

18. I am so sorry for your loss Shirley.. Thinking of you and your family..

19. mary frances

/  February 20, 2018

I was just checking today – I am like all here so sorry for your loss. I miss you, too.

20. Tonya

/  February 27, 2018

My heart goes out to you, thank you for sharing this with us. I was very close to my dad who passed away 9/11/07. I will always be grateful for the blog you helped me with me in 2011. You have helped so many animals :) I wish you peace ,

21. I am very sorry for your loss.

22. db

/  April 30, 2018

Something made me come back today. I am so very sorry about losing your job, and your dad. I love the obituary you wrote for him. Take care of yourself!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w