Open Thread

Animal related links, questions, stories and such as go in the comments.

[x]

[x]

Next Post

1. vida

/  July 12, 2014

Great idea for adoptions!
    Lost Dogs Home did a series of events to rescue humans trapped in their tiny cubicles and get them outside to walk with shelter dogs. Seems to have worked well.

2. Karen F

/  July 12, 2014

We immediately reserved this new book, “Elephant Company, The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II,” at the library. I learned things even from the review, for example the fact that an elephant can smell five times better than a bloodhound.

“(Lt. Col. James Howard Williams, known as ‘Elephant Bill’) set out to learn everything he could about elephants, ‘to find some common ground, some way of seeing the world through their eyes rather than through my own.’ There was a mystical side to Williams; he described feeling an exchange of communication when he touched an elephant’s skin. He began following them into the forest at night when they were released to forage and socialize, noting that during those hours their behaviors and attitudes reverted to a nearly wild state. He wrote that elephants acted like domesticated animals for only eight hours a day, and indeed, most of the company’s elephants had begun their lives in the wild.”

• Karen F

/  July 12, 2014

That is, an elephant can smell five times *as well as a bloodhound can*. I’m sure elephants and bloodhounds both smell equally good. :-)

• Arlene

/  July 12, 2014

It sounds like the stray dogs are being treated like red headed stepchildren! They are never seen and they have only a rocky area and only a few balls…no toys.

This makes me feel sick to my stomach.

• And this is in the North. The South, contrary to a common belief down here, does not have a monopoly on places like this. I hope that real changes are in the offing.

3. Update on the “Lucky Dog”/Peanut Kirby case from Randy Travis, the reporter who exposed the case: https://www.facebook.com/RandyTravisFOX5/photos/a.121286824602832.17672.107855612612620/753226518075523/?type=1&theater

“Late Friday Judge Russell Smith denied Peanut Kilby’s request to be released from prison on bond pending her appeal. He also denied her request to be considered indigent which would have allowed her to avoid paying the estimated $7500-$9000 cost of the trial transcript. Interestingly, judge Smith says four days before she was set to stand trial on theft and racketeering charges, Kilby transferred to her husband her half share of a $250,000 piece of property. In May, Kilby was convicted on all counts involving charges she stole donor money to go gambling and ordered the secret deaths of dogs and cats she promised would not be euthanized. She was sentenced to 15 years in prison.”

What a dirtbag.

4. Anne Thomas

/  July 13, 2014

I don’t think that people generally believe that the South has a monopoly n poorly run sheltered; I think the commonly held belief is that there are more of them in the south. I suspect this may be die to which stories have gotten the most attention.

5. I meant “poorly run shelters.”

6. Eucritta

/  July 13, 2014

This is wholly frivolous.

Today, so far, I’ve had cats nearly snabble cheesy eggs off the stove, while the dog almost got half a melon and then attempted to snack on the napkins and the contents of a cat box. Then he snapped at a wasp outside, the little idiot, but fortunately didn’t connect.

It’s one of those days, and I happen to know of just the song:

7. Leslie

/  July 14, 2014

I don’t know if anyone else here is following The Real Cats at West Milford Animal Shelter’s FB page, but they do a brilliant job of marketing the pets. I especially enjoy the cartoons created by the volunteer who runs the page. I live on the other side of the country from this New Jersey shelter but their page is so much fun that I can’t help but keep up with it anyway. https://www.facebook.com/TheRealCatsAtWMASS?fref=photo

• Casey Post

/  July 14, 2014

Thanks for this! I’ve been doing marketing for our cats, but Facebook’s limitations make it hard to “tell a story”. The comic idea is very helpful!

• Casey Post

/  July 17, 2014

Leslie, I wanted you to know that your comment was a big help to me! I posted this for Medina Count SPCA last night -https://www.facebook.com/MedinaSPCA/photos/a.446660318307.221782.298290063307/10152578801448308/?type=1&theater

And have been using the “comic” idea to see if that helps with the marketing. Thanks so much!