Open Thread

Post anything animal related in the comments.

"Yakuza Kitty" by Will Koffman

“Yakuza Kitty” by Will Koffman

Next Post

1. I don’t anyone against euthanasia, but of course this PETA author in this article (below) is not interested in the not so subtle difference in definition between “killing” and “euthanasia”. Read the article then go back and read the last four paragraphs of the article again. Simply substitute the word “killing” for “Euthanasia” and “kill” for “euthanize”. Paints a much different picture, don’t it?

/  November 1, 2014

Nina Pham, the Dallas nurse who had tested positive for the Ebola virus, was reunited with her dog Bentley.

3. Arlene

/  November 1, 2014

A former Pompey dog control officer was arraigned on 278 counts of animal cruelty this week, according to Tully court officials.

4. Karen F

/  November 1, 2014

I wanted to thank the reader who posted here around a week ago about Muffin, the 6-week-old kitten partially paralyzed after a vet tech at the Downey shelter in Los Angeles County placed a microchip into his spine. I started following the story — Muffin is doing well now after risky chip-removal surgery, made possible by the irresponsible public. (Though whether he will regain function in the affected limbs, and if so how much, is still unknown.) He’s adorable and that’s putting it mildly.

• Kathryn Hargreaves

/  November 1, 2014

It was I. Yikes, didn’t see that Muffin’s brother died from diarrhea, because he didn’t get proper treatment at the pound.

5. So…I made the choice today NOT to rescue three feral kittens and their mother, and I’m really second-guessing myself. I discovered them while on vacation and found their den, which was basically a perfect little feral cat home- a nice, dry tunnel in a rock with multiple exits and protected by an overhang. I was actually able to eventually scruff one of the kittens, but they were clearly well on their way to wanting nothing to do with people and their momma would have needed to be live trapped. I know I COULD have captured at least the kittens, but if I had, I don’t know what I would have done with them. I’m not in a position to take on three or four more cats, and any shelter in my area would have euthanized them immediately for being feral. All three kittens looked to be in very good weight and health, and momma was doing a great job (she almost came at me when I scruffed her baby despite her own obvious fear.)

In the end, I turned the kitten loose and left them. Still not sure if I did the right thing, but the only other option would be to transfer them down to my area and try to find a managed colony with a caretaker willing to go through the process of a slow release. That would obviously have been very stressful for them. This is one of the first times I’ve ever left an animal that I knew I could have captured, so it’s been a hard day.

• Kathryn Hargreaves

/  November 1, 2014

Maybe contact some locals who would be more in a position to help?

• I did contact Alley Cat Allies and emailed some people in the area, but so far haven’t gotten a response (but then it’s only been a day). Alley Cat Allies folks have been a HUGE help in the past when I had a situation with a feral cat on a campground, so I’m hopeful someone can help.

• My main concern is their location…while their den is great, they’re right next to the parking lot. So I’m worried they’ll either get hit or, as it gets colder, might climb up inside a car engine for warmth. They were actively hiding under cars and moving all over the parking lot, so I know they aren’t avoiding it.

6. db

/  November 2, 2014

It’s happening, as I feared. On a local lost and found page, someone found a beautiful kitty he can’t take in until family is found. When he contacted Ingham County Animal Control (our new director is the former director from Florida) he was told to turn the cat loose. Guess all the concerns about Mr Seltz and how he directs were all warranted.

7. Karen F

/  November 2, 2014

The British singer Katie Melua discovered she’d had a spider living in her ear canal for a week, had it removed, then very awesomely rehomed it in her garden.

/  November 5, 2014

Another dog shot by police. In April, 2013, Officer Gilkerson and his then-new K-9 partner, Raider, greeted members of the public. In response to a question, he told the crowd, “I have been afraid of dogs my whole life that I don’t know. I’m comfortable with dogs I do know.”

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2014/11/05/Woodville-officer-shoots-wounds-dog-at-traffic-stop.html#puEdu8WrseLOGd7t.99