I Don’t Know But I’m Guessing It’s Not Based on Merit

Solitary pup tries to snuggle with metal in a cage at the Memphis pound.  (Photo via Facebook)

Solitary pup tries to snuggle with metal in a cage at the Memphis pound. (Photo via Facebook)

Last week a Memphis city council committee voted to accept a proposed 10.6% pay raise for employees at the city pound. The proposal includes an incentive for killing animals by paying workers who kill a higher wage than those who don’t. MAS already had this financial incentive in place but the union representing the employees made sure it was preserved in the new salary increase proposal.  Committee members Harold Collins and Joe Brown voted for the pay raise while Jim Strickland voted against it.

Are there any animal advocates who are politically active and involved with the city council in Memphis?  The pets at MAS really need a voice in government.  Right now, all they have is the employee union speaking to the city council.

The Memphis pound had a 50% kill rate in 2014.

(Thank you Clarice for the link and to the reader who sent me the photo from Facebook.)

1. D. Lake

/  May 19, 2015

MEMPHIS POUND EMPLOYEES ARE HEARTLESS PUKE’S…..

2. izzyvanover

/  May 19, 2015

They main problem is that the Government condones their cruel behavior! I’ve written Rogers and Wharton and received no answer! They hide behind their evil deeds and support the abuse and cruelty!

3. db

/  May 19, 2015

This is the saddest picture I have seen in a long time. Incentive for killing? Can’t even get my mind around that concept. Sick bastards!

• izzyvanover

/  May 19, 2015

I’ve run out of ideas to correct the abusive activities at MAS! Can anyone think of something we can do to stop them?

THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS ARE JUDGED BY THE WAY IT TREATS ITS ANIMALSGHANDI…

4. D. Lake

/  May 19, 2015

Amen db, It is so sad, This little guy all alone facing the wall.
    No blanket, no water or food that I can see.

5. Andrea

/  May 19, 2015

Somebody please help that doggy. Breaking my heart……

• izzyvanover

/  May 19, 2015

This makes me sick!

6. izzyvanover

/  May 19, 2015

I just read that MAS employees will receive a 10.5% increase in pay! Also, to make me rip roaring mad, I read that they get a monetary incentive for each animal they kill!

7. mary frances

/  May 19, 2015

What the hell is the matter with us humans?

• KateH

/  May 20, 2015

Mary Frances, it’s not ‘us humans’ it’s those inhuman scum at MAS and the inhuman, corrupt, bastards in city government who are the problem!

8. vida

/  May 19, 2015

You would think there would be some kind of program to brainstorm adoption events, innovative marketing, community outreach with bonuses involved for getting the most animals into loving homes.
    If, you know, no one wants to kill animals.

• KateH

/  May 20, 2015

But they do want to kill animals – and they want to get paid extra for it, too. Unmitigated bullshit, and they are just shitheads of incredible gall.

9. mary frances

/  May 19, 2015

Is there anyway to help this little one? I will donate money if someone can and will.

• KateH

/  May 20, 2015

If this dog isn’t dead already, and he can be pulled, I will donate too.

10. Somebody’s about to receive a PETA gift basket

11. mary frances

/  May 20, 2015

This photo is so sad. If there is any way to help this little one – I want to help.

12. TY so kindly to those who offered to help this puppy. I tried to get verification on this pup’s status but was unable to do so. I heard the pup got out with a foster but have no way to verify the information. Unfortunately there are always politics involved in everything, rescue being no exception.
    If anyone would like to donate in this pup’s honor, may I suggest the no kill shelter of your choice, perhaps with a request to use the funds for an orphaned pup or wherever the shelter has the greatest need.

• db

/  May 22, 2015

I so hope this pup is out and safe. But there are so many more in different facilities . . .

13. Mary Miller

/  May 21, 2015

Shameful…50% kill rate! Makes my blood boil!!!!!

14. Lisa

/  May 21, 2015

Please read the article titled “Residents sue Baltimore County over animal shelter conditions” and give me y’all’s thoughts. It can be found on baltimoresun.com. Thanks!

15. Brenda

/  May 22, 2015

He is no better than the last mayor who said he didn’t give a damn about the shelter or the rape crisis center. He just uses a sweeter voice when he puts his “spin” on it. Dear God, let this man be out of office soon.

16. Barbara Seay

/  May 22, 2015

This is a disgrace!! Something has to be done about this!!!

17. Marlene C.

/  May 22, 2015

So hold on…the firefighters and policemen and women who try in most cases to make our city a safer place have to fight for a single digit increase, while the criminals killing animals at MAS get a double digit increase…for killing? Get me out of here!