Open Thread

Post anything animal related in the comments, anytime.  New Open Threads are posted weekly.

ElliottErwitt

[x]

Next Post

1. KateH

/  November 21, 2015

That’s always been a favorite photo!

2. KateH

/  November 21, 2015

Did you see this amazing story? I want to hug this judge and buy him dinner and wash his car and give him flowers!

3. YES, KateH!!! It feels incredibly GOOD doesn’t it??? Like: FOR ONCE!

4. Just when I think I feel up to becoming active in rescue again, a case like this comes along and reminds me of why I left:

• There’s a whole lotta crazy in rescue, no doubt. But when you start hurting people, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself and the choices you’re making.

• Alice

/  November 23, 2015

The kicker is, they have those pictures in front of them and dare to claim they aren’t sure that this is same dog they pulled. The markings don’t lie.

• Here is an update of sorts to Biscuit:

They have now been banned by pulling from that animal control. And of course, everyone else in the world is to blame. How dare we take offense to them shipping a dog off when they knew who the owner was.

5. BamaBrie

/  November 21, 2015

I have finally finished moving my webites to Weebly to make them mobile-friendly. If you find anything on either site of use to you, help yourself. Same goes with my Paws4Change channel on Youtube (although I need to update some of my older stuff).

6. Arlene

/  November 22, 2015

In my reading tonight I came across this article and found it very interesting. It’s about rescues and how “full of themselves” they can be when picking and choosing who is “worthy” of getting one of their dogs. I hope you find it interesting too.

• Two comments: first, I love this photo, too. Second, re: your link/response, I have a very good friend and a very good animal (cats, dog, horses) owner/advocate. After her JRT died at age 15 (her second JRT), she wanted a PRT puppy. Three, 3, rescues turned her down because she didn’t have a fenced back yard. IT WAS THEIR ONLY REASON. Never mind my friend would never leave a PRT puppy alone in a fenced back yard anyway….my sister, an extreme dog advocate who does very good work in VA, calls people like my friend “dog snobs” for wanting a certain breed. My friend finally bought a puppy from reputable breeders who yes, take back their puppies if needed at any time, and keep in touch with their customers. I would not want a PRT; I have two old Rat Terriers who are the wrong type of dog for me (I’m a hound person), BUT, they were in dire need and I can tolerate their eccentricities for the rest of their lives. I no longer rescue but do foster. An online friend asked what types of dogs I will foster and I told her, only Beagles. I’ve had/have Coonhounds, Bloodhounds, Dachshunds, Labs, and mixes of all sorts. If that makes me a dog snob, so be it, but those I’m fostering find very good homes through their rescues. I’ve made mistakes when adopting out dogs, but most went to stellar homes. Two Coonhounds went to homes w/o fences, since they jumped them anyway! They are both still happy with their families. I adopted two puppies to a couple in college whose dogs at home were intact but well managed. Took some heat on that BUT they are both happy, well loved, and I see photos often. We need to meet people where they are….and we are not so perfect ourselves, as the presenter showed with his questions. Thank you for this link.

7. Susan Ford-Whitten

/  November 22, 2015

This isn’t just a “pet” peeve – it is an entire kennel of irritation; SBAC closed SUNDAYS; has wounded dog but pleading for rescue to take to vet ….

8. KittyPurr

/  November 23, 2015

I for one am over it- rescues stealing family pets.
    It is becoming epidemic- and many people cannot afford the civil case.
    I had a friend whose dog was stolen literally within minutes of being let outside to potty- while she was home with the flu and didn’t accompany her dog outside. The dog was her sons therapy dog. The rescue refused to acknowledge the dog was hers an return it even with all the documentation. She had to file a civil case to get their attention. Then they shook her down for $150 if she wanted to get her dog back. She paid it. But this has got to stop!!!

/  November 23, 2015

Dozens of animals have died from a Sunday night fire at a Massachusetts animal shelter.

10. Billy sent me this link to a story about a Good Sam who saved 2 pups he found sealed in an aquarium in a creek bed in Mississippi. Near the end of the vid, one pup has his paw around the other.

/  November 24, 2015

PETA is being sued for $9.7 mIllion by the family of Maya, the chihuahua PETA stole and killed.