Name That Animal

This is just for fun and the only rule is:  no researching.  Post your answers in the comments.  Reading other people’s answers before posting your own is going to kill us all optional.  Answer will be posted in the comments tomorrow.

nta

1. Daniela

/  March 24, 2016

It’s a ground squirrel.

2. KateH

/  March 24, 2016

Not sure how the lines are counted, but I think it’s the 13-lined ground squirrel. There’s a seven and a thirteen, I’m pretty sure. This one is Fred McNamara, and he’s a construction engineer.

3. Daniela

/  March 24, 2016

I meant ground chipmunk

/  March 24, 2016

Prairie dog? Spotted striped prairie dog? Spiped prairie dog? Strotted prairie dog?

There’s a reason no one has ever come to me to name an animal.

5. Karen

/  March 25, 2016

It’s a ground squirrel. Pretty common where I live.

6. ANSWER TIME

This is a 13 lined ground squirrel. Apparently common, although I’ve never seen one. I like all the other names Wiki has for this animal:

The thirteen-lined ground squirrel (Ictidomys tridecemlineatus), also known as the striped gopher, leopard ground squirrel, squinney, and as the leopard-spermophile in Audubon’s day, is a ground squirrel. It is widely distributed over grasslands and prairies of North America.

Please call me Squinney going forward.

7. KateH

/  March 25, 2016

Wow! I actually got one right. Well, I’m best at identifying mammals, and you so often put these amazingly cool invertebrates up to test us. I appreciate learning about them, but I so often know little to nothing about them.

8. Daniela