Open Thread

While the blog is on hiatus, I am leaving this open thread up so people can share anything animal related in the comments.

vintage-dog-photographs-by-elliott-erwitt

1. Take your time … and come back with a vengeance. Love your writing.

2. My home, Silverwalk, became uninhabitable after the New Years Flood here in SE MO at the end of Dec, 2015. I spent the next eleven months with my flood foster family who also took in 4 dogs with me. The other dogs were distributed to people who responded with fortitude and graciousness to my call for help. There is always a silver lining. Two foster dogs stayed with their flood foster home. Two were adopted by their flood fosters. One returned to the woman who helped rescue her (and is very happy), and another foster is staying with her flood foster mom. Sadly, though our circumstances didn’t cause this, I sent 3 dogs to Heaven: Archie the Tyrant (rat terrier), Danny Quinn (tweenie Dachshund), and Ellie Mae Bloodhound. We are now in a new home, White Rabbit Cottage, with Silverwalk Foster Kennel out back. Still wrangling with flood insurance, but that, too, must end. I am home only with my dogs currently, Justus being one…
    And here’s more story. Justus came to me about 7 years ago as a “Black and Tan Coonhound” puppy, about 4 months old. His ears bugged me, but I’d never had a Coonhound so young. Finally, one day, I lifted up his ears and exclaimed, “Justus! You’re a Doberman!” I found in my search about Doberman, a Dobie puppy, 5 months old, who looked just like Justus. Sent my inquiry to my Doberman rescue friends in STL, and let his rescue know he may not be Coonhound. Dobie rescue said, perhaps some Doberman, but certainly not full, and his rescue said if he wasn’t Coonhound, he would need another rescue. I adopted him at cost. This Jan, I did his Wisdom Panel DNA. Well! 50% Coonhound (25% Bluetick, 25% Walker), 33.5% Muxed Breeds (major types: guard, terrier, sporting, mountain dog), and, yes! 12.5% Doberman Pinscher. He is my big boy, my life companion. I made his birthday Feb 14. He will be 7 years old.
    Thank you for letting me share.

3. Folks in/near Western NC: Lincoln County (NC) Animal Services is hosting a workshop on saving kittens Wed, February 22, 2017. Here’s the info: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kitten-ladys-kitten-season-kickoff-event-in-north-carolina-tickets-31660668913

4. Be aware that the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Adorable-Pets-For-Sale-In-USA-1154134911332617/ (Adorable Pets For Sale In USA.) is using stolen photos to sell puppies. If you have ever posted puppy photos online you may want to check their page to see if your photos are there and flag them as stolen intellectual property.

5. As some of you likely know, many federal government websites have been altered with significant information removed from public view since Jan 20. The latest is the USDA website. Its animal welfare inspections and reports are now gone, supposedly available via federal FOIA, if you can manage to get it (or anything). Many animals in this country have very few protections in place outside of the USDA and now the public has no way of knowing how the USDA is, or is not, enforcing these protections.

6. Evanger’s has issued a recall because a euthanasia drug was found in some of its food. One dog is dead, four others sickened. This article, which reads pretty much like a press release, emphasizes that the company uses USDA approved animals in its food. Yet another reason why the public must be able to access information from the USDA.

7. mary frances

/  February 8, 2017

Nevertheless, she persisted….

8. mary frances

/  February 8, 2017

Nevertheless, she persisted….

I should have written that was the end sentence by Mitch McConnell when he silenced Elizabeth Warren…today people have made it a rally cry of sorts.

Also read today:

“Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good.” Merle Haggard

Wanted to share with you good people here.

9. Karen F

/  February 10, 2017

Keith Olbermann’s commentary on the USDA information blackout:

Rachel Maddow recently also did a segment on the blackout, and predicted it would be reversed, but there’s no sign of a reversal yet.

10. Article looking at how wildlife would be harmed by a border wall between the US and Mexico.

11. Chris

/  February 12, 2017

Nice news: Vancouver police officer jumps into frozen Lost Lagoon to save dog
    Dog chases ball onto ice, falls through, but pulled ashore by officer with help from rope-holding colleagues

12. Angela Anderson

/  February 12, 2017

I’m sure the Memphis pound can find someone else who will do the job in a humane manner. Please prosecute the man that slammed the door on the puppy 4 times.

13. Alice

/  February 13, 2017

A Humaine Society adopted out an owned dog within a couple of days of getting him. Now they are acting really shady about their policies and contacting the people who have him.

14. Alice

/  February 15, 2017

A man undergoing chemo adopts a dog from Lee County PAWS five months ago. He takes Fred with him to a bar and he accidentally gets away. Now PAWS adopted Fred out again saying he violated the contract. Because, a bar is treating a dog inhumanely. Oh, and didn’t you all know that yearly vaccines had to be boosted in less than five months?

This is also the Vice President and Director of PAWS:

This man also adopted a dog he named Eartha from PAWS in the past. PAWS refuses to admit this even though he has ample proof. Eartha was HW+ along with other medical issues. He treated all of them. That’s why they refuse to admit Eartha existed, it would prove they are in the wrong.

The woman in the interview has apparently changed her story on why she won’t return Fred and how he got back to PAWS. Some documentation on that is in the comments here if anyone is interested.