Is There a Frog Doctor in the House?

This morning, a beagle who shall remain nameless apparently injured a little frog.  This little frog:

frog

Little frog.

I found him writhing and nearly upside down on the porch.  I set him over the right way around but he appears to have a bum back leg.  He’s stayed in the same spot all day, continually making pitiful attempts to move.  I fear leaving him there much longer because a snake will get him.  Sooooooo, I can’t think what else to do besides take him into my frog rehab center.  Which I’m about to Google how to build.  And I have no idea how I am supposed to feed him insects.  To be honest, I was hoping to find a less killy, vegetarian option but so far Google is telling me insects and worms so that’s terrible.

If anyone out there has any suggestions on how best to help him, I would certainly appreciate them.  I don’t even know what kind of frog he is.

1. I will alert experts.

• Thank you. I am hyperventilating just reading about how to care for a frog, let alone an injured one.

2. Casey

/  July 27, 2018

Oh dear. We had a similar incident. It did not end well for the frog.

3. Jesse

/  July 27, 2018

Hello! Looks like a toad to me. Have you tried contacting any local wildlife shelters? They would be able to heal its hurt leg; otherwise I fear it might not get better, but if the injury isnt that bad you never know. Most pet stores sell crickets and worms so feeding is not too hard.

4. Alice

/  July 27, 2018

Might be able to at least get some phone advice from Tufts Wildlife Clinic:https://wildlife.tufts.edu

• Thanks Alice. I got some good advice for transport on that site. I’ve found a place not too far from me that hopefully can take him. Waiting on a call back.

5. UPDATE: Frog is now at a wildlife center. Unfortunately, the person who checked him in did not seem very hopeful about his survival. I am going to call and check on him tomorrow. They gave me a little piece of paper with their phone number and “Toad 113” written on it so I can check back. Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly.

6. Oh, good, I hope they take him/her and work wonders. Great of you to rally to aid!♡

7. I see your note that they took Toad 113. I hope your good vibes help heal.

8. GWEN SMITH

/  July 28, 2018

I hope he’s better. Poor little frog. You are so kind to help him Shirley. 😔🙏♥️

Sent from my iPhone

9. Lou Ann

/  July 28, 2018

First of all – I was so excited to see YesBiscuit on my email this morning! The beagle wouldn’t be cutie Newt, would it? 😊 Please keep us posted and thank you for being so kind to all creatures.

10. UPDATE: Sadly, TOAD 113 died at the wildlife center overnight. I hope he was able to sense that he was surrounded by people who cared about him.

11. You are so kind and my Beagles seek out frogs here, too. Godspeed, Toad. You were cared about.

12. Sometimes our best just can’t help these little guys. You gave him a chance.

13. mary frances

/  September 24, 2018

I am hoping you and your family are okay and both North and South Carolina are getting better. Heartbreaking on the news.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )