Dog #233616 at MAS is wanted. But the city is considering denying her a chance to live a normal, happy life. The city attorney is currently reviewing the dog’s case and deciding if she will be released to us or to anyone at all. They are using the observations of the behaviorist we sent to MAS against the dog. The behaviorist was unable to perform an evaluation due to the dog’s state and so did not charge us. She did however e-mail us her observations from outside the cage. Unfortunately, she thought she was evaluating a pet because we did not know the dog was feral then. So she was trying to form an opinion on “adoptability” as a companion animal which we now know is not an issue. The behaviorist’s observations from outside the cage as to the dog’s adoptability are invalid because MAS failed to disclose this was a feral dog. Once Mr. Andrews finally disclosed the dog was feral we sought out, and found, an offer of sanctuary for her with feral dog rehabbers.
We have more than one offer for sanctuary for her from qualified, experienced feral dog rehabbers. They are insured and will sign whatever waiver the city requires in taking full responsibility for the dog. There is no liability for the city in releasing this dog.
She is wanted. Please let us save her life.
Update, October 28, 2011: The assistant city attorney says she will make a decision by the end of the day Monday regarding Mari. We do not know if Mari has been eating while she’s been at MAS but we are concerned about the extreme level of stress she’s endured since she was first dragged down the hall by a noose around her neck there. It is not unusual for feral dogs to refuse food when captured due to their extreme anxiety. Keeping her trapped inside the kennel at MAS for another 4 days seems needlessly cruel to me. Rescuers are willing to save Mari’s life. Why is the city determined to prolong this dog’s emotional suffering while they decide whether or not they are going to kill her?
Update #2: All of the sudden and without explanation, MAS has told us we need to pick up the dog before closing today. So apparently we are now back in scramble mode. Yay. Can anyone in Memphis drop what they are doing and get down to MAS to pull the dog? There would be no handling of the dog whatsoever. Just put shavings in the crate and leave her in the crate.
I am getting whiplash from having my chain yanked.
Update #3: A reader contacted MAS. They are closing and Mari is still there so she is safe for tonight. A rescuer will be there when they open tomorrow to bail her out. From there, we are working out details for transport. I will of course keep you posted.
Thank you to the boots on the ground rescuers in Memphis, Tammy in KY (sorry for stepping on your toes with both my huge feet!), the many readers who have made very generous efforts and offers on behalf of Mari, the experts who gave me emergency advice and special thank you to Steve Markwell for walking me through this and advocating for Mari as if she was loved by lots of people and must be saved. She is and she will be.