Weekend Jade

Thing you can enjoy, even with a fractured pelvis:  raw meaty bones.

jade rmb 061514

1. anne davis

/  June 15, 2014

Luckiest dog in the world!

2. Thank you for saving her! I wish we could clone you to manage animal shelters across the country!

/  June 15, 2014

Fantastic! And so good for her body AND mind (helps relieve stress and gives her pleasure).

4. bestuvall

/  June 15, 2014

she is pretty cute bet she stays.. a nice blue color too.. a fractured pelvis will heal in no time and she will be well soon!

5. When wll she be available for adoption?

6. Lou Ann

/  June 16, 2014

I’m not going to ask what that is — but she sure is enjoying it! LOL She really is beautiful!

7. I wold like to try giving my dogs raw meaty bones. what is the best ones to give them? They don’t eat anything raw would this matter as far as their digestion?

• I know of no reason why not eating a raw diet should preclude your dogs’ ability to eat occasional RMBs. As far as what types to feed, it would depend on the size of the dogs and whether you wanted to use the RMBs as a quick meal or something they could chew on for awhile. I’m guessing the latter in which case turkey necks and beef ribs (which is what Jade is chomping on in the photo) are both good candidates. If you start feeding different types of RMBs regularly, you’ll work out which ones your dogs will get more mileage out of and which ones they tend to gulp.

• mikken

/  June 17, 2014

Chicken (unenhanced) is a good place to start. The bones are soft and easily chomped through by nearly all dogs (the teeny tiny ones may need to start with breast bones, rather than leg) and it’s readily available. Just watch those sodium numbers – you want less than 100mg of sodium per 4 oz serving to be sure your chicken is unenhanced.

• KateH

/  June 17, 2014

I get large marrow bones that some people use for soup. Try to get ones with thick walls (they are generally cut from leg bones) as thinner-walled bones tend to break more easily. I pick sizes to match my dogs – ranging from a 45 pound to an 80 pound dog, and their teeth. One dog is 14 and has dental issues so he no longer gets any bones, but the other three enjoy them as snacks once or twice a month – only when I’m there to watch so they don’t chomp too hard and chip a tooth.

8. Precious baby! Spoil her rotten with hugs and kisses and meaty bones!

9. Debby Ledbetter

/  July 7, 2014

LOVE< LOVE< LOVE THIS!!! THANK YOU!!!