Name That Animal

This is just for fun and the only rule is:  no researching.  Post your best (or most terrible) guesses in the comments.  Reading other people’s answers before posting your own is punishable by jail time and/or fines optional.  Answer will be posted in the comments tonight.

nta

I love this animal’s seemingly out of proportion paws.

Next Post

1. Chris_B

/  May 29, 2015

Honey Badger. I’ve seen it before but I can’t remember. Just guessing.

2. Eucritta

/  May 29, 2015

Fisher? That’s my best guess.

3. KateH

/  May 29, 2015

At first I thought…kinkajou, but then I thought fisher because the tree looks more like it’s from a northern forest, so fisher makes more sense. Then Eucritta guessed fisher, so I’m sticking with fisher.

• I was going to send you to jail for reading eucritta’s answer before posting but since you are one of only 3 people who commented on this post, I guess I’ll have to give you a pass. This time.

4. ANSWER TIME

This is a yellow throated marten. (Also, how come no one guessed ferret? That was my guess.) From this animal’s Wiki entry:

The yellow-throated marten is the largest marten in the Old World, with a tail more than half its body length. Its fur is brightly colored, consisting of a unique blend of black, white, golden-yellow and brown.[2] It is an omnivore, whose sources of food range from fruit and nectar[3] to small deer.[4][5] The yellow-throated marten is a fearless animal with no natural predators, because of its powerful build,[6] its bright coloration and unpleasant odor. It shows little fear of humans or dogs, and is easily tamed.

I’m not sure how anyone figured out that such a “fearless animal” with an “unpleasant odor” was “easily tamed” but I guess there’s someone for everyone.

• Eucritta

/  May 29, 2015

Nice! At least I was in the Mustelidae. I’ve never heard of these – only pine martens – which, oops. Apparently (following a link from above) true pine martens are a European species, and what we’ve got is the American marten. And wow, these yellow-throated guys are known to take down musk deer? I’m impressed.

• KateH

/  May 31, 2015

I think this is the creature that is the ‘god’ in the short story by Saki (H.H. Munro), titled Shredni Vashtar. It’s available online and is a really cool read!

5. angie

/  May 30, 2015

Quick question- I read your 2010 post about heartworm prevention:

I have a 12 month old boston terrier. He’s around 27lbs-28lbs (he’s lean but on the taller side). I purchased 2 whole packs of the “Up to 25 lbs Hartgard Plus” about 4 months ago before his major growth spurt.

Will the up to 25 lbs be enough for my boston? Or would I have to trade it in for the higher lbs prevention?

Thanks in advance.

• I am not a vet and would defer to whatever your vet instructs you to do. If my dog weighed 27 – 28 pounds, and I chose to give him Heartguard, I would get the product labeled for dogs over 25 pounds.

6. Hm…… Not a weasel…..not a marmoset, I dont think……my mind’s blank (nothing new there)

7. Yellow throated marten……yeah, that was going to be my next guess.