Name That Animal

This is just for fun and the only rule is: no researching. Post your most and/or least knowledgeable guesses in the comments. Reading other people’s answers before posting your own is Straight Outta Cheatin’ optional. Answer will be posted in the comments tonight.
nta

Next Post

1. Judy A

/  August 14, 2015

My guess is penguin. Which variety? No clue. For that matter, I’m probably wrong from the start. :-) Always a challenge. Love it.

2. Puffin???

3. His name is Francis, but everyone calls him Frank. He prefers Francis, but is too embarrassed to tell people.

4. Eucritta

/  August 14, 2015

… one of the penguins off the west coast of South America? That’s my guess, as far as it goes.

5. KateH

/  August 14, 2015

Mikken is 100% right – that is definitely Francis – I can tell by the whopping huge case of untreated pink-eye. He’s afraid of going to the doctor, you see. He doesn’t have insurance and he’s too young for Medicare, and his state hasn’t expanded their Medicaid program to help the working poor. :-)

6. Adele penguin? Not sure I have correctly spelled the name I am guessing. Since Adrienne hasn’t told us yet, I guess I’ll go look it up.

7. I’m going to say Adelaide penguin because… I can. (It’s stuck in my head.) This doesn’t exactly look like an Antarctic ice shelf ~ unless somebody’s habitat is heating up faster than their behavior. For soemone who has spent my life in fascination of all living creatures, this is humbling, I must say. I’m really enjoying it.

• Aaarrrgghh ~ I did know there were penguins in Africa! I just couldn’t connect those neurons (they’re getting harder to find in there).

• This will make you feel better: I used to volunteer at the New England Aquarium (where the video Eucritta posted was taken) where they have African penguins on exhibit. I’ve watched them and listened to their braying for countless hours. That was decades ago. But the today me is all “Hey, there are penguins in Africa!”

At least I haven’t yet posted the same animal twice (at least I don’t think I have). I’ve come close more than once when I “discover” the same animal again.

8. ANSWER TIME

Did you know there are penguins in Africa? I didn’t. Francis is one of them. From Wiki:

The African penguin (Spheniscus demersus), also known as the jackass penguin and black-footed penguin is a species of penguin, confined to southern African waters. It is also widely known as the “jackass” penguin for its donkey-like bray, although several related species of South American penguins produce the same sound. […] It has distinctive pink patches of skin above the eyes and a black facial mask; the body upperparts are black and sharply delineated from the white underparts, which are spotted and marked with a black band. The pink gland above their eyes helps them to cope with changing temperatures. When the temperature gets hotter, the body of the African penguin sends more blood to these glands to be cooled by the air surrounding it. This then causes the gland to turn a darker shade of pink.

The African penguin is a pursuit diver and feeds primarily on fish and squid. Once extremely numerous, the African penguin is declining due to a combination of threats and is classified as endangered. It is a charismatic species and is popular with tourists.

[…]

The total population fell to 200,000 in 2000. In 2010, the number was estimated to be only at 55,000. If this decline is not halted, the African penguin is expected to be extinct within 15 years.

I see the words “charismatic species” and “popular with tourists” and the first thing that comes to mind is: How many has Walter Palmer killed?

What a delightful little animal to discover. I am hoping for them.

• Feral cats. I’m sure that their population is declining due to feral cats. And probably Walter Palmer.

9. Now THIS is more like it! That is obviously a Penguin……though there are different kinds of penguins……dont know which kind this is……SONOFABI…..um….that is the Arctic Happy Footed Penguin

10. Did ya know: Male penguins try to “woo” females by giving them a pebble …kinda like a human male “wooing” a female (or fellow male, whatever floats your boat), with a “rock” from a jewelry store

11. Whether penguin or human, the male with the biggest one (pebble or “rock”…I know what you were thinking.) usually wins. Size DOES matter. (No, seriously, just the act of showing he cares is enough)

12. If you haven’t seen the “Pebble and the Penguin” or “Happy Feet” animated movies, do yourselves a favor and see ’em!

13. Eucritta

/  August 15, 2015

I got curious, and looked up what they sound like. After this, I don’t think I’ll be forgetting about the jackass penguin anytime soon.

• That is some sexy sound – I can see how the ladies must fall under their spell…

• KateH

/  August 16, 2015

I imagine their parents telling them, “Now take a DEEP breath, and use your diaphragm!”

14. EmilyS

/  August 17, 2015

Benedict Cumberbatch cannot pronounce “penquin”