Name That Animal

This is just for fun and the only rule is:  no researching.  Post your answers in the comments.  Reading other people’s answers before posting your own is a personal red cup spiritual crisis you’re going to have to work out for yourself optional.  Answer will be posted in the comments tomorrow.

nta

1. Lisa B

/  November 12, 2015

It looks like some sort of louse.

2. nancy s

/  November 12, 2015

Eight legs = arachnid. Hmm. I don’t see any large front claws, so it can’t be a lobster or crawfish. If microscopic (the environment looks so foreign), it can’t be a bed bug; I think they have 6 legs. Ticks have 8 legs, I believe, but are more round or oval in shape. I think Lisa B is onto something with louse — some kind of mite, perhaps?

• Now that I get to check my answer… ew, the whale louse (I didn’t make that up) makes our crusty beastie here at least look like something that even belongs on this planet.

3. Spike McCuddlebug?

/  November 12, 2015

The legs remind me of a crab. I’m just hoping this is not an edible creature.

• It might as well be; lobsters are also decapods. I might be melting up some buttah just about now… only I’m not even doing the butter any more, let alone the poor decapods.

5. Eucritta

/  November 12, 2015

Honestly, I have no clue. I keep coming back to look, and every guess I’ve made, there’s something wrong with it – its legs are too bristly, there’s no visible claws, it’s not pudgy enough, it’s not named George. Something. But, it looks more like a Pacific lobster than anything else to me and I remember there *was* a new species described a couple years ago, so that’s my wild guess.

6. KateH

/  November 12, 2015

It’s a sea cockroach! Creepy bugger, for sure.

7. ANSWER TIME

This is a giant isopod, specifically: Glyptonotus antarcticus. From Wiki:

A giant isopod is any of the almost 20 species of large isopods (crustaceans distantly related to the shrimp and crabs, which are decapods) in the genus Bathynomus. They are thought to be abundant in cold, deep waters of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans.
    […]
    Their morphology resembles that of their terrestrial cousin, the woodlouse: their bodies are dorso-ventrally compressed, protected by a rigid, calcareous exoskeleton composed of overlapping segments. Like some woodlice, they also possess the ability to curl up into a “ball”, where only the tough shell is exposed. This provides protection from predators trying to strike at the more vulnerable underside.