Name That Animal

No researching, just have a guess.

Next Post

1. Daniela

/  November 23, 2011

An Ocelot

2. Eucritta

/  November 23, 2011

Hah! Just saw the video. So I won’t say!

3. looks like an Ocelot.

4. Looks like perhaps a marmoset? (however you spell it!)

5. Apparently I was way off, lol…. No blonde jokes here folks!!

6. Well, I’m probably wrong here but it looks like a type of jaguar to me. Part of me wants to say cheetah, because it appears to be pretty small, but the environment isn’t right for that — so I’m going with jaguar even though these Ocelot guessers sound like they’re smarter than I am.

/  November 23, 2011

A genet or a civet cat?

• LOL, you are right – I looked it up after I guessed, lol…. Clarice’s guess is so much better than mine!

Happy Thanksgiving EVERYONE!! God bless you all.

8. Might be a margay

9. ANSWER TIME:

This is a marbled cat. From the Wiki entry:

The Marbled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata) is a small wild cat of South and Southeast Asia. Since 2002 it has been listed as vulnerable by IUCN as it occurs at low densities, and its total effective population size is suspected to be fewer than 10,000 mature individuals, with no single population numbering more than 1,000.

The species was once considered to belong to the pantherine lineage of “big cats”.Genetic analysis has shown that it is closely related with the Asian Golden Cat and the Bay Cat, all of which diverged from the other felids about 9.4 million years ago.

The marbled cat is similar in size to a domestic cat, with a more thickly furred tail (which may be longer than the body), showing adaptation to its arboreal life-style, where the tail is used as a counterbalance. Marbled cats range from 45 to 62 centimetres (18 to 24 in) in head-body length, with a 35 to 55 centimetres (14 to 22 in) tail. Recorded weights vary between 2 and 5 kilograms (4.4 and 11 lb).

Here is a photo of what looks to me to be a baby marbled cat:

And here is a vid which I saw today and which introduced me to this animal:

10. Anne

/  November 23, 2011

fun! hadn’t heard of that cat before (i thought civet was the closest guess)

11. It really is amazing how many wild cats are out there!

12. Looks like it could be a small mountain lion… But my guess would be a young cougar.