Name That Animal

This is just for fun and the only rule is:  no researching.  Post your best guesses in the comments.  If your best guess is CAT – you’re on notice.  Reading other people’s answers before posting your own is optional but if you choose to do that, I hope all of them are CAT.  Answer will be posted in the comments tomorrow.

nta

Next Post

1. Daniela

/  August 1, 2014

The cutest little cat ever that I just want to pick up and hug and kiss and call George. Which means it is probably an Asian Leopard cat that will rip my face off if I get to close.

/  August 1, 2014

I don’t know the name of this cat, but I immediately thought of Africa when I saw the photo.

3. sarahjaneb

/  August 1, 2014

Is that a Bengal cat? Somebody in my neighborhood lost one a couple of weeks ago, and IIRC the picture they posted looked a lot like that kitty.

4. Looks like a type of Bobcat.

/  August 1, 2014

Scottish Wildcat? If so, then his name is Donnan. If not…I’m going to have to go with Janet.

6. WillyBoy

/  August 1, 2014

Asian leopard cat

7. Eucritta

/  August 1, 2014

Tough one! I’m going to guess … either mountain cat, pampas cat, or ma-a-a-ybe European wild cat. Those are the ones I can think of off-hand that look most like tabby cats.

Or George. That’s it.

8. Jean

/  August 1, 2014

Is it a Margay?

9. ANSWER TIME

CAT.

Only joking.

This is a black-footed cat. From the Wiki entry:

The black-footed cat, or small-spotted cat (Felis nigripes) is the smallest African cat, and is endemic in the southwest arid zone of the southern African subregion. It is one of the lesser-studied African carnivores, and is listed as Vulnerable by IUCN since 2002.

The black-footed cat is one of the smallest cat species. Adult resident males weigh on average 1.9 kg (4.2 lb) and a maximum of 2.45 kg (5.4 lb). Adult resident females weigh on average 1.3 kg (2.9 lb) and a maximum of 1.65 kg (3.6 lb). Males reach a head-to-body length of 36.7 to 43.3 cm (14.4 to 17.0 in) with tails 16.4 to 19.8 cm (6.5 to 7.8 in) long. Females are smaller with a maximum head-to-body-length of 36.9 cm (14.5 in) and tails 12.6 to 17.0 cm (5.0 to 6.7 in) long. The shoulder height is about 25 centimetres (9.8 in).[5]

Only the pads and underparts of its feet are black, which gives the black-footed cat its name.

• Eucritta

/  August 3, 2014

I looked ’em up – I love it when I don’t know what a critter is, it’s such fun – and found this photo that shows the feet of one:

• You have to get really close to this cat to see the black feet – way closer than I’d want to get. I wonder why someone thought that would be a good distinguishing feature to use to name them.

10. My guess is an ocicat, totally domestic but bred to look like a cross with an ocelot.

11. What a sweet looking kitty…