Redemption Screening Tonight in Charlotte

I am taking a wee trip to Charlotte, NC

taking a trip

to attend the premiere of this movie:

finalmovieposter

at the Pease Auditorium at Central Piedmont Community College, 6pm. If you are also attending, please say hello.

To see where the film will be shown in upcoming weeks, check this page.

Next Post

1. I was planning to go, but then I got a new job and I don’t have enough vacation time to take off early enough to get there before 9 pm. Enjoy!

2. anne davis

/  August 22, 2014

You’ll love it! I was so moved by the film. The actor who portrayed Bergh was in the audience and I was able to have conversations with both Nathan and his beautiful wife. Enjoy!!!

/  August 22, 2014

Have a safe trip and enjoy!

4. Claudia Bloom

/  August 22, 2014

Great showing in Phoenix last week. Alot more receptive audience to No Kill then just a few years ago, I think!

/  August 22, 2014

I missed the one in my area – we want to hear a review when you get back!

6. We had a great screening and presentation in Atlanta last night. If at all possible, go. You will be inspired. And anyone who could post something like the individual responsible for the post featured in the “Thuggery” post immediately before this one after seeing this film has ice in their veins. The film does a great job of encapsulating what the No Kill movement is all about.

7. KarenJ

/  August 22, 2014

I’m so glad you’re going Shirley!!! I’m sorry I’ve been too busy to post about our wonderful Nashville event with Nathan on June 25th! It really went great. Our attendees were quite an interesting group…I’ll post more later…HUGS

8. I saw Redemption in DC and arrived a few minutes late. I took the last available aisle seat, and later, when Nathan called on him in the presentation after the film, I learned I was sitting next to Peter Damrosch of the Allegany County shelter, the only municipal no-kill shelter in Maryland! The film and the presentation were inspiring, and the book we were given had an insert about spaying deer, a much better way of handling the large deer population.

9. The movie is definitely uplifting. Of course there are a few rough, relatively short, bits to get through. The only time I choked up was hearing Valerie tell the story of her foster kittens being killed. I’ve seen that part before and I’ve read about it too but the way she tells it still kills me.
    I was only able to jot down 2 quick notes during the film because it was too dark to write. But there was a shot of cat cages in a shelter with a big sign over them that said SUPERSTAR CATS. I wrote that down. I just love it. So simple and effective. They are all superstars, why not advertise it to all the shelter visitors?
    I was able to take notes during Nathan’s presentation on creating a no kill community which followed the film.

10. I’ve seen it twice. The first time, i was kinda surprised at how much time was given to the kitten incident, but it was what compelled the volunteers to get organized. That sort of thing happens so many times, and I wish more people recognized something like that as their cue to draw a line in the sand (or better yet, know that an incident like this could happen to you and take measures to head it off before it happens). Hopefully the film will show people that there is an alternative to taking that sort of crap or being conciliatory or trying to collaborate with anyone so untrustworthy as to do such a thing. That is a losing game. It is a death by 1000 cuts for you, and worse for the animals, as always.

The thing that really got me the first time I saw it was the narrator talking about how they killed kittens in Austin. I had read the quote from the “Blue as a summer sky” article, so I recognized it immediately and tuned out until it was over. That quote really gets to me. However, the juxtaposition is very powerful. Making this film must have involved solving many very tough creative problems in order to present both the enormity of the situation and the power of ordinary people to change it, and it does that.

I had seen a rabbit rescuer post about how she was glad that bunnies got their share of screen time, and the second time around, I noticed them more. So, there is the chance to see new things if you view it more than once.

Nathan did tell me that there are sometimes audible gasps at the kitten story, so that is just the nature of that story. I have been told by other people that people not involved in the movement understand why those of us who are do what we do after seeing it.

11. spaycritter

/  August 24, 2014

Definitely inspirational. I was a bit disappointed there was not a larger turnout. But I was encouraged to know that at least one shelter director from Charlotte ,was present. Always good to mingle with like minded people. I’d never seen Mr Winograd in person. Having the opportunity to rub elbows with leaders of the No Kill movement ( Shirley and Nathan) was a real treat.

12. I was even more moved the second time I saw the film, even though I knew what was coming. As Nathan said in Northwest Arkansas last night, he probably should have recruited Kleenex as a corporate sponsor of the tour.

13. FixCharlotte

/  August 25, 2014

Hey Shirley! Didn’t know you were there as I didn’t open my computer on Friday or I would have said hello & gave you a hug. I’m sure you saw me in my wheelchair scooting around. Hopefully, Char-Meck will be more open to change now. We shall see…

• I did notice someone in a wheelchair but there was a large group of people surrounding the person. You must be so popular!

• FixCharlotte

/  August 26, 2014

LOL! I wouldn’t say “popular”, more like, “Damn, she’s here”! Spent some time schmoozing with the Director from Char-Meck AC&C. He really liked the presentation and seeing Nathan and that he “got it now”. I hope so. I’ll keep in contact with the shelter and I’ll keep you updated on any progress.

14. I pray shelter reform happens soon because small grassroots, true no-kill organizations are falling left and right to the predatory business practices of the well endowed and/or taxpayer funded kill facilities. And this is quietly happening and supported by,what one would be surprised at participating, unlikely bedfellows of the large charities.